Friday, October 2, 2009

Letter from Burgundy and Gold Royalty


(I swear, I'm going to get to stuff other than the Redskins and the Wildcats, but it's just taking a little while.)

So a little backstory.  My parents both grew up in northern Virginia, out in Loudoun County, both families big Redskins fans (on a side note, many family members moved off and subsequently abandoned the Redskins.  My parents, God bless them, moved to Kentucky but raised us as Redskins fans from afar).  My mom grew up next door to Pat Fischer, one of the true all-time burgundy-and-gold greats.  My first Redskins sweatshirt?  Pat's old practice shirt.  
Anyway, my grandparents stayed good friends with them and so when we'd visit, we'd typically see them.  Pat's son Marty was always around and sorta like the cooler, older guy when I was younger.  I haven't seen any of the Fischers since my grandfather passed away five years ago, so I was pretty surprised to see this show up on the DC Sports Bog.  As you can read on the Bog, it started off as a letter to his fellow 'Skins fans that basically blew up and got forwarded all around.  Makes for a great story, and I like what he says.  I think he'd probably judge me a bit too critical of the team (well...), but he's undeniably one of the biggest fans we've got, and for that, I salute him.

No comments:

Post a Comment